As we all speculate madly the reopening of our borders and our personal freedoms it is impossible not to daydream about where we’ll go when all of this is over.
Here in Italy it looks as if international travel could be seriously limited for most of us in 2020 and holidays in our beloved country will be the order of the day. While we’ll be ready to jet off to faraway places when we can travel overseas again, our time in isolation has given us a new appreciation of the beauty spots found right on our doorstep. One place we’re dreaming of retreating to is Tuscany and to help you along we’ve come up with 8 reasons why Tuscany might fit the bill for your first adventure outside of the four walls of your city apartment.
Click on the playlist I’ve put together below to really feel the vibe…
2. Immersing ourselves in Nature The unspoilt reserves and bountiful nature, combined with the warm hospitality, offers the perfect post-lockdown remedy to ‘re-wild’ and get back to nature. Gentle hikes, bike rides, yoga on your terrace or a lazy walk on an unspoilt beach are what we need to offset weeks of shifting sands and uncertainty. We want to unplug and tap into the simplicity of local life.
3. We can drive there…and bring your dog How much do we love throwing our bags, kids and the dog in the car and heading off? As much as a trip overseas takes us out of ourselves, the flight can often zero us when it comes to travel stress. The simplicity of travel with the family and a car loaded up with everything we need is actually a godsend. And our children and our dogs need the countryside as much as we do.
4. Clean living, eating and drinking Getting back to our core values will be a priority for many of us. We’re all feeling” less than” after lockdown so making sure that whatever break we choose gives us the chance to nurture ourselves with organic food and drink and a farm to plate ethos
Spending a few days being taken care of with wines, olive oils and regional foods which are all sourced locally is good for the body and for the heart. Plus, at its centre the best travel experiences are full of tastes, smells and connections of the senses. Its self care at its best and supports our local Tuscan artisans who have been hit the hardest during the crisis.
5. Making our money go a little further All of us have felt the hardship of the lockdown and how it has affected the Italian economy and our own pockets. Many of our own Italian businesses won’t survive and this is particularly true for those in Tourism. However, some are offering incentives to encourage us to support them while they help us at the same time. In addition, most Hotels are offering 100% flexibility for any bookings made right now. #booknowstaylater is the advice from many travel experts and by doing so we’re helping small boutique businesses get through a tough time.
6. The Air is Clean in Tuscany Every day I check Il Meteo and I see the lightest azzure colour indicating the almost perfect air quality. Knowing that clean air is central to staying well during Covid makes me really think about where I want to spend time in the future when I have a chance to escape. Tuscany’s air quality and untouched landscapes resonate with our need for deep down healthy living-this is one of the new luxuries we will all be demanding. No doubt we will want to eat beneath the trees, gaze at a sunset and sip a glass of something exquisite al fresco. Its the lifeblood of our country.
7. The Wine….oh the Wine Vineyards stretching out beyond our gaze, a glass of rounded, red gorgeousness at our lips is something which echoes from our ancestors and draws us with a hypnotic pull to Tuscany time and time again. There’s nothing quite like your Tuscan aperitivo as the swallows fly overhead and the day comes to a balmy close. Wine experiences and tastings take you deeper and closer to the earth which produces some of our best vintages and olive oils. Don’t forget that this Summer we’ll have it all to ourselves without the tourists. Heaven!
8. Staying consciously It’s not enough anymore to check-in, chill and check out. We’re looking for a curated stay and a transformative experience. This holds true even with a short break close to home, but we don’t want to sacrifice quality. Service for many of us simply means someone listening to our needs and meeting them with personal attention, care and kindness. After such a huge shift in our lives where we have lost so many of our routines and in-person connections, we are feeling a deep deficit of self-care and grounding. Making sure we choose destinations with an ethical philosophy around the personal wellbeing of guests is a high priority for anyone coming to terms with the last few months. Where better than Tuscany to slow down, stay mindfully and heal in a safe sanctuary you can trust.